PERSIAN MEELS 101
This video course teaches you how to swing Persian meels, in a way you can easily follow and do at home.
It is also a great conditioning program for HEMA and historical fencers, especially if fighting with buckler, shield or dual weapons.
We start with a crash course in club swinging, where we cover safety and general principles, so that even new beginners can enjoy this program.
Then we dive into the traditional club exercises from the Persian Zoorkhaneh, otherwise known as the “House of Strength”.
Training with Persian meels addresses: strength endurance, mobility of spine, hips and shoulders, agility, coordination and balance. You will also improve your grip and train your core in a reactive fashion.
More than just a collection of tutorials, you also get a full training program and a follow along routine choreographed to music. The club swinging rhythmic and repetitive circular patterns to drum beat work as a type of mindfulness. This was used to train the warriors’ minds to remain calm and collected.
DO I NEED AUTHENTIC PERSIAN MEELS FOR THIS PROGRAM?
Traditional Persian meels are not required, any type of Indian club works fine!
For your benefit and future development, we cover the technical differences about swinging both light AND heavy meels, should you at some stage invest in a set of Authentic Meel™.
The focus of this video course is on swinging light Persian meels to perfect technique, because we believe that for your longevity and own benefit, how well you swing is more important than how heavy. Light meels are favored by wrestlers while heavy meel swinging is more of a specialized weightlifting competition.
We also show you a few traditional push ups on the “Shena” push up board. With our quick guide, you’ll be able to build one yourself with just a handsaw, a piece of wood, a screwdriver, 8 screws and some sandpaper!
We do not cover the traditional arts of: Sang (shields), Kabbadeh (iron bow), Meel Sangin (heavy Meel), Meel Bazy (Meel juggling), Charkh Teez & Charkh Chamani ((fast and slow whirling). If you want to experience the full Zoorkhaneh traditions and rituals, you can find more info by looking up the International Zoorkhaneh Sports Federation.
PERSIAN MEELS 101 INCLUDES:
- Training Guidelines and Safety
- Club swinging 101 express (safety and key point of club swinging)
- Basic exercises (grip, closed style vs open style club swinging, swipes, alternating low cast, footwork…)
- Classical exercises (4 count and 2 count swings, proper footwork, technique for heavy Persian meels)
- Extra exercises (double inner and outer back, alternating parry and strike, crisscross…)
- ”Rostam routine” timed to music
- ”Pahlavan Rising Program” (program with 3 levels, benchmark goals, training advice…)
- How to easily make a Shena push up board to YOUR size (with minimal tools such as a handsaw and screwdriver)
- Essential Persian push ups
- Cool down